Assistant Professor in Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmaceutics, NKUA
AGePOP coordinator, (co-)lead of WP4 and 5, (co-)supervisor of ESRs 4, 5 and 9
Maria Vertzoni is based at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), where she is Assistant Professor in Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmaceutics at the Department of Pharmacy. She received her Bachelor in Chemistry in 1994, her Master of Science in Analytical Chemistry in 1999 and her PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2004 from NKUA. In 2016, she received her Master of Science in Medical and Pharmaceutical Statistics from Athens University of Economics and Business. Her research interests focus on the physicochemical characterisation of the intraluminal environment and oral drug absorption, with particular interest in special populations. She is currently supervising 2 PhD students and is/has been involved in several EU funded training and research programmes, i.e. AGePOP (coordinator), PEARRL (PI), InPharma (PI), OrBiTo and COLOTAN, and one COST action, i.e. UNGAP (WG leader). She is an active contributor to the field of pharmaceutical sciences and has co-authored more than 95 peer reviewed papers and chapters in international journals and books.
- Vertzoni, M., Sulaiman, S., Goumas, K., Kersten, E., Anlahr, J., Muenster, U. and Reppas, C. (2021) Characteristics of contents of lower intestine in the 65-74 years of age range could impact the performance of safe and efficacious modified release products. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 110, pp. 251-258. DOI: 10.1016/j.xphs.2020.10.029.
- Statelova, M., Goumas, K., Fotaki, N., Holm, R., Symillides, M., Reppas, C. and Vertzoni, M. (2020) On the Design of Food Effect Studies in Adults for Extrapolating Oral Drug Absorption Data to Infants: an Exploratory Study Highlighting the Importance of Infant Food. AAPS Journal, 22(6). DOI: 10.1208/s12248-019-0380-4
- Pentafragka, C. Symillides, M., McAllister, M., Dressman, J. Vertzoni, M. and Reppas, C. (2019) The impact of food intake on the luminal environment and performance of oral drug products with a view to in vitro and in silico simulations: a PEARRL review. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 71, pp. 557-580. DOI: 10.1111/jphp.12999
- Vertzoni, M., Augustijns, P., Grimm, M., Koziolek, M., Lemmens, G., Parrott, N.J., Pentafragka, C., Reppas, C., Rubbens, J., Van den Αbeele, J., Vanuytsel, T., Weitschies, W. and Wilson, C.G. (2019) Impact of regional differences along the gastrointestinal tract of healthy adults on oral drug absorption: An UNGAP review. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 134, pp. 153-175. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejps.2019.04.013
- Xirouchakis, E., Hadziyannis, E., Kourikou, A., Kranidioti, C., Reppas, C., Vertzoni, M., Deutsch, M., Papatheodoridis, G. and Manolakopoulos, S. (2018) The Effect of Propranolol on Gastrointestinal Motility and Permeability in Patients with Cirrhosis and Portal Hypertension. Hepatology, 68(S1), p. 771A. DOI: 10.1002/hep.1840020502
- Karatza, E., Goumas, C., Muenster, U., Reppas, C. and Vertzoni, M. (2017) Ex vivo evaluation of degradation rates of metronidazole and olsalazine in distal ileum and in cecum: The impact of prandial state. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 534(1-2), pp. 237-241. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2017.10.015