Professor of Medicine, Head of Gastroenterology/Hepatology division, KU Leuven
(Co-)supervisor of ESR 3 and ESR 7.
Professor Jan Tack is Head of the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in the Leuven University Hospital, Professor in Internal Medicine at the University of Leuven, and a founding researcher of TARGID (the Translational Research Center for Gastrointestinal Disorders) at the University of Leuven. Jan Tack is President of the Rome Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. He graduated summa cum laude in 1987 from the University of Leuven and specialised in internal medicine and gastroenterology at the same institution. A research fellow at the Department of Physiology at the Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA, from 1989 to 1990, he has been conducting research at Leuven University since 1990. Jan Tack’s scientific interest focuses on neurogastroenterology and motility, and includes diverse topics such as the pathophysiology and management of gastrointestinal functional and motor disorders (including functional dyspepsia, gastroparesis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, globus, dysphagia, dumping syndrome, chronic constipation, irritable bowel syndrome and opioid-induced bowel dysfunction), the physiology and pharmacology of the enteric nervous system, gastrointestinal hormones and the control of satiation and food intake.
Jan Tack was the promotor of more than 50 Ph.D. fellows. He currently supervises a research group which comprises 10 Ph.D. fellows, 3 postdocs and 5 technical/support staff. He has published more than 800 articles and 45 book chapters on various aspects of scientific and clinical gastroenterology, generating an h-index of 92.
Jan Tack won several awards for Basic and Clinical Research in GI Science. He is Past-President of the European Society of Esophagology, and Past-President of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus. He has served as founding Editor-in-chief of the United European Gastroenterology Journal, and as co-editor for Neurogastroenterology and Motility, Gastroenterology, Gut and Digestion. He serves or has served as a member of the editorial board of Gastroenterology, American Journal of Gastroenterology, Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Journal of Internal Medicine, Bailliere’s Best Practice and Research in Clinical Gastroenterology, Annals of Gastroenterology and Journal of Gastroenterology.
- Hens, B., Masuy, I., Deloose, E., Mols, R., Tack, J. and Augustijns, P. (2020) Exploring the Impact of Real-Life Dosing Conditions on Intraluminal and Systemic Concentrations of Atazanavir in Parallel with Gastric Motility Recording in Healthy Subjects. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 150, pp. 66-76. DOI: 1016/j.ejpb.2020.02.014
- Braeckmans, M., Brouwers, J., Masuy, I., Servais, C., Tack, J. and Augustijns, P. (2020) The influence of gastric motility on the intraluminal behavior of fosamprenavir. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 142, pp. 105117. DOI: 1016/j.ejps.2019.105117
- Goelen, N., de Hoon, J., Morales, J.F., Varon, C., Van Huffel, S., Augustijns, P., Mols, R., Herbots, M., Verbeke, K., Vanuytsel, T., Tack, J. and Janssen, P. (2019) Codeine delays gastric emptying through inhibition of gastric motility as assessed with a novel diagnostic intragastric balloon catheter. Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 32(1), pp. e13733. DOI: 1111/nmo.13733
- Rubbens, J., Brouwers, J., Tack, J. and Augustijns, P. (2018) Gastric and duodenal diclofenac concentrations in healthy volunteers after intake of the FDA standard meal: in vivo observations and in vitro explorations. Molecular Pharmacology, 16(2), pp. 573-582. DOI: 1021/acs.molpharmaceut.8b00865
- Riethorst, D., Mitra, A., Kesisoglou, F., Xu, W., Tack, J., Brouwers, J. and Augustijns, P. (2018) Human intestinal fluid layer separation: The effect on colloidal structures & solubility of lipophilic compounds. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 129, pp. 104-110. DOI: 1016/j.ejpb.2018.05.026
- Van Den Abeele, J., Schilderink, R., Schneider, F., Mols, R., Minekus, M., Weitschies, W., Brouwers, J., Tack, J. and Augustijns, P. (2017) Gastrointestinal and Systemic Disposition of Diclofenac under Fasted and Fed State Conditions Supporting the Evaluation of in Vitro Predictive Tools. Molecular Pharmacology, 14(12), pp. 4220-4232. DOI: 1021/acs.molpharmaceut.7b00253
- Rubbens, J., Riethorst, D., Brouwers, J., Wolfs, K., Adams, E., Tack, J. and Augustijns, P. (2017) Gastric and Duodenal Ethanol Concentrations after Intake of Alcoholic Beverages in Postprandial Conditions. Molecular Pharmacology, 14(12), pp. 4202-420. DOI: 1021/acs.molpharmaceut.7b00252
- de la Cruz-Moreno, M.P., Montejo, C., Aguilar-Ros, A., Dewe, W., Beck, B., Stappaerts, J., Tack, J. and Augustijns, P. (2017) Exploring drug solubility in fasted human intestinal fluid aspirates: Impact of inter-individual variability, sampling site and dilution. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 528(1-2), pp. 471-484. DOI: 1016/j.ijpharm.2017.05.072